This page contains the scheduled activities for the Lenten season including two Days of Recollection (one for men and one for women) as well as resources to strengthen your spiritual commitment during this time.
Scroll down or click on one of the following links for more information.
- Holy Week Schedule
- Stations of the Cross
- Lenten Fish Fry
- Pastor’s Lenten Appeal (Llamado de Cuaresma del Pastor)
- Ash Wednesday
- Days of Recollection
- Lenten Fasting Requirements
While Ash Wednesday is not a holy day of obligation, it is still an important day in the Church calendar as it marks the start of Lent and our season of sacrifice and spiritual preparation to joyously celebrate the Resurrection of Christ. This year, Masses will be celebrated, and ashes distributed, on Wednesday, March 2nd, after all Masses listed below.
Please make a concerted effort to attend one of these Masses to prepare yourself for the season.
NOTE: Adoration and Confessions are suspended due to Ash Wednesday Masses.
Lenten Fasting and Abstinence Requirements
FASTING-Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are obligatory days of fasting for Catholics. When fasting, a person is permitted to eat one full meal and two smaller meals that together are not equal to a full meal. For Catholics, the norms on fasting are obligatory from age 18 until age 59.
ABSTINENCE-Ash Wednesday, All Fridays of Lent, and Good Friday are days of abstinence. The norms concerning abstinence from meat are binding upon Catholics from age 14 onwards. No meat is eaten on days of abstinence.
For more information on fasting during Lent, visit the United States Conference of Catholic Bishop’s website at http://j.mp/2UE6ubX.
Days of Recollection
The men and women of St. James are invited to a Day of Recollection to begin the sacred season of Lent.
- The Day of Recollection for men is Saturday, March 5th
- The Day of Recollection for women is Saturday, March 12th
Both days will follow this schedule:
- 8:30am Parish Mass
- 9:00am Breakfast (Heller Hall-Door 13)
- 9:45am Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament/First Reflection
- 10:15am Silent Prayer/Confessions
- 10:45am Second Reflection
- 11:15am Silent Prayer/Confessions
- 11:45am Benediction
- Noon Lunch (Heller Hall-Door 13)
The fee for the day is $20, and can be paid in any of the following ways:
- [email protected] include a note that your payment is for the event.
- [email protected] (Last 4 digits: 4938)-Please include a note that your payment is for the event.
- Cash or Check may be dropped off at the rectory, marked c/o Julie Marx.
If you should have any questions about these Days of Recollection, please contact Julie Marx at [email protected].
The Days of Recollection are open to all St. James parishioners who wish to attend and are sponsored by the Saint James School PTO.
Pastor’s Lenten Appeal
Lent is a time to grow closer to Christ through prayer, fasting, and Almsgiving. To help guide you, Father Scalia has created the “Pastor’s Lenten Appeal”. He has given suggestions on how to know, love, and serve Christ more deeply this Lent. Print this guide for your use. You can click on the links in the document for additional resources.
You can click on the links in the document for additional resources.
Pastor’s Lenten Appeal (English)
Llamado de Cuaresma del Pastor (español)
Holy Week 2022 Schedule
Please note the schedule for Adoration and Confessions for this week.
To download a printable version of Holy Week, click here.
Monday of Holy Week, Apr 11
- 7:30pm Tenebrae Service
- 8:30pm-9:30pm Confession
Tuesday of Holy Week, Apr 12
- 6:30pm-9:00pm Confession
Wednesday of Holy Week, Apr 13
- 6:30pm-9:00pm Confession
Holy Thursday, April 14
- 7:00pm Mass of the Lord’s Supper (Spanish) – Gym
- 7:30pm Mass of the Lord’s Supper (English)
- These will be the only Masses on this day
- No Adoration or Confession on this day
Good Friday, April 15
- 9:30am-11:00am Confession
- 12:00pm Stations of the Cross (English)
- 3:00pm Celebration of the Lord’s Passion
- 5:00pm Vía Crucis (Spanish)
- 7:00pm Passion of the Lord (Spanish)
Holy Saturday, April 16
- 9:00am Blessing of the Easter Baskets and Egg Hunt
- 9:30am-12:00pm Confession
- 11:00am-12:00pm RCIA Rehearsal
- 8:30pm Easter Vigil Mass
- This is the only Mass for this day.
Easter Sunday Masses, April 17
Stations of the Cross
Stations will be held every Friday during Lent. Click here to learn more about the Stations.
- Spanish March 4th-April 15th
- 7:30pm-8:30pm March 4th-April 8th
- 12:00pm-1:00pm April 15th